So today we’re going to talk about the final point in this case study.
The Upsell Board
This is “Jiffy Lube Select Services.” Just sounds exclusive doesn’t it.
Nice clean layout with the red, white and black that ties into their logo and color scheme. How might you integrate all that in your business?
So we have three categories again (remember the rule of three choices from the first post? If not re-read that now).
- Run Safe
- Run Clean
- Run Long
Let’s start with Run Safe
- Windshield Wiper Replacement – $10.99
If you go to an auto parts store you could get the same thing…and they’d install it too…for the cost of the wiper blades. Probably for half the price. But that is the great thing about upsells. They can be a win-win. If you had to drive somewhere else after getting your oil change to replace your wiper blades, wouldn’t it be worth it to get both done here and be done with it? Saves time…and time is money.
So what is the other Run Safe upsell?
- Light Bulb Replacement – $10.99
Same thing here. I’ve had light bulbs replaced at the dealership for the cost of the bulb. This one probably isn’t a huge margin but it is worth asking. And the other thing about this is the fact that often people don’t realize their lights are out. Especially tail lights. So if you didn’t know before, you can’t plan ahead and get it replaced somewhere else. And now that you’re already here, why not get it replaced. Only $11 more, right?
Now on to the Run Clean section.
This is the mid tier of upsells.
- Fuel Filter Replacement – $59.99
- Fuel System Cleaning – $59.99
- Cabin Air Filter Replacement – $39.99
- Engine Air Filter Replacement – $14.99
These are harder sells. Here they ask you how long since you’ve last had these replaced. Or they show you a dirty filter when they ask you. How dirty are they supposed to be? If it doesn’t look clean it probably needs to be replaced, right?
No comment. I do know I go several times before replacing. Even though it looks dirty. But most people don’t have their maintenance book handy when they’re going in for an oil change. So upsell opportunity with few facts to counter with.
So the last section, Run Long
Who wouldn’t want their car to run long?
This one starts at the top and works down in price generally.
- A/C Evacuation & Recharge – $119.99 (a great upsell in the summer when your A/C stops working)
- Automatic Transmission Fluid Exchange – $119.99 (a tough one to sell)
- Automatic Transmission Drain & Fill – $59.99 (same issue as above)
- Manual Transmission Service – $49.99
- Differential Service – $74.99
- Transfer Case Service – $49.99
- Radiator Antifreeze Coolant Service – $89.99 (this could be a good one, particularly if the car has a habit of overheating)
- Serpentine Belt Replacement – $89.99 (maybe if it is cracked and ready to break)
- Engine Flush – $59.99 (this is a good one and more reasonably priced than the Radiator one)
- Tire Rotation Service – $24.99 (they always say you should rotate your tires but most places you buy tires will rotate for free)
- Battery Terminal Cleaning – $9.99 (I should probably get this done since my terminals are always corroded and when my battery dies because I left my lights on they always comment about the corrosion)
Now Go Make Some Money
So there you have it. Three groups of upsells – low, medium, and high. Well grouped. As long as the sales team understands how and when to present those, you have a decent chance at having a $38 oil change turn into a $100-$200 project.
Now isn’t that worth spending some time evaluating with your business? Imagine spending 10% to 25% more time but getting 2 to 10 times the revenue and profit from the same transaction.
Shouldn’t you take an hour to investigate? Until next time…